Achieving greater control over your family law matter
For many couples, the thought of going to court to settle their case can be distressing. If you want you and your spouse to work together to reach an agreement that works for you both, mediation could be the right option for you.
At Prime Law Group, we attempt to resolve every family law matter through negotiation before going to court. Not only will this save you the cost of litigation, but it can mean greater certainty and less stress about the outcome of your case. One way to resolve your issue outside of court is to participate in mediation.
OTHER FAMILY LAW MATTERS
What is mediation?
Mediation in McHenry County is a non-adversarial dispute resolution process that takes place away from the courtroom. You, your spouse and your attorneys will meet to negotiate the terms of your divorce or family law issues in conversations guided by an impartial mediator.
Mediators are specially-trained professionals in family law – in fact, they’re often family lawyers themselves – who facilitate discussions between the parties to help them reach a settlement. They don’t offer legal advice, but provide general information about the legal process to help you and your attorneys reach a workable solution.
At Prime Law Group, many of our lawyers are also qualified mediators or arbitrators. Because we’ve experienced the process from both sides, we can make sure you’re thoroughly prepared to take part in mediation sessions – so you can achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
Why do people choose mediation?
It’s not unusual to feel like a divorce or family law dispute is out of your hands – particularly if the courts are involved. Mediation gives parties greater control over their case, as well as more privacy. Benefits of mediation include:
- Directing the process and outcome – you decide the settlement of your dispute rather than leaving it to a judge.
- Saving costs and time – mediation is cheaper and faster than litigation, allowing you to move on with life sooner.
- Preserving relationships – protect important family relationships and avoid putting children through the stresses of litigation.
- Keeping things simple – if you and your spouse are able to agree on the terms of your divorce, mediation offers straightforward, uncomplicated approach.
- Finding creative solutions – mediation gives you the opportunity to find solutions that are better suited to your individual needs.
If you’re able to reach an agreement through mediation, you can avoid the added disruption and expense of going to court. And if mediation doesn’t work for you, you’re free to explore other options to settle your divorce or family law dispute.
How Mediation Works
Mediation is a voluntary process that allows you and your spouse to take responsibility for creating a settlement with which both of you can live. It also permits you to choose whether or not to be represented by an attorney during the mediation sessions.
Prime Law Group offers the full continuum of mediation services including:
- Traditional Mediation: spouses each choose lawyers to advise them before and during mediation sessions.
- Parties-Only Mediation: spouses may consult with their attorney before, and after mediation sessions to review the settlement terms being discussed, but their attorneys do not attend the mediation.
In either mediation format, the mediator is impartial and will work on behalf of both you and your spouse. The mediator does not offer legal advice, but rather will provide general information about the legal process and other aspects of the divorce, and will assist you in reaching a workable solution.
In both kinds of mediation, the goal is to reach an agreement on the issues and for the divorcing couple to sign a written mediated settlement agreement. Prime Law Group offers divorce mediation services in our Woodstock office.
Contact Us to Learn if Divorce Mediation is Right for You
If you would like more information about divorce mediation, contact our divorce attorneys today to schedule a consultation to speak about your particular situation at 815-338-2040 or contact us online.
Let our experience be your guide